- 1 Best Eye Drops For Weed Smokers: How To Get Rid Of Red Eyes Caused By Smoking Weed
Best Eye Drops For Weed Smokers: How To Get Rid Of Red Eyes Caused By Smoking Weed
Dry mouth, munchies, and red bloodshot eyes go hand-in-hand with weed smoking. And even though you aren’t ashamed of smoking pot; it is only your business that you smoke.
So, what can you do to prevent one of the most obvious signs of smoking weed; bloodshot, dilated, and stoned eyes? This
This article will tell you the optimum way to both prevent and fix stoned eyes. Specifically, it will inform you of the following:
- Reasons Why Your Eyes Get Blood Shot and Dilated When Stoned
- DIY Methods and Precautions for Reducing and Eliminating Stoner Eyes
- Best OTC Eye Drops For Weed Smokers
OTC Eye Drops-I was unable to test all of these OTC eye drops while smoking pot. These eye drops are all though designed to provide temporary relief from minor eye irritation and remove red bloodshot eyes. Therefore, unless I stated otherwise, you should assume that these eye drops should work for pot smokers.
Why Do You Get Red Eye When Smoking Weed?
It is assumed by many that
Additionally, you still may get red eyes even with edibles. So, if weed smoke isn’t the only reason, what is the reason?
The answer is the cannabinoid, THC. THC causes the blood vessels, in your eyes, to dilate or widen. The widening allows for increased blood flow and also causes a blood pressure drop. This extra blood flow, in turn, causes eye redness. These results are also
Smoking Marijuana Can Actuallly Help Your Eyes
THC is not harmful to your eyes. In fact, medical marijuana has been shown to help treat various serious eye diseases. For example, glaucoma, which can result in blindness, is caused by abnormally high intraocular pressure (“eye pressure”), and smoking weed reduced this eye pressure. Additionally, smoking marijuana has also been shown to be beneficial in cataracts treatment.
Other Reasons For Abnormally Red Eyes
I am not giving any medical advice. But, even a basic Google search will tell you that red eyes can be caused by a number of medical reasons that are not related to marijuana or tobacco smoking. For example, eye infections, and Pink Eye, (AKA Conjunctivitis) can all cause you to have abornally red eyes. So, see a doctor if you are worried about eye redness that occurs with itchy eyes, dry eyes, and other eye problems.
Are You A Contact Lens User?
I used to wear extended wear contact lenses. However, I often got lazy and kept them too long in my eyes. Luckily, I never got an eye infection from my laziness. I did though suffer from severe eye irritation and red eyes.
What Are The Best Way To Prevent Eye Redness?
Here, are a few tips to help you prevent or reduce pot-smoking, bloodshot eye symptoms. This list is based on what works well for reducing red eyes in the first place. It also mentions methods for getting rid of the dreaded red-eye.
- Lower THC Strains -The higher the THC levels in
cannabisthe more likely you will have the problem. So, if you are that worried, you should consider a low THC strain.
- DeHydration-Staying hydrated can prevent abnormally red eyes
- Plan Accordingly-You should plan to smoke or take edibles X hours before you have to go out in public. I.E. If you have an important family get-together and you don’t want to show up stoned quit smoking
cannabisat around five hours before the function.
- Eye Drops (AKA Artificial Tears)-Use over-the-counter eye drops that are specifically formulated to reduce red eyes. Some of the more popular eye drops that are specially meant to reduce or eliminate the dreaded “Red-Eye” are Visine, Clear Eyes, Rotho-V, and Opcon-A. Each of these will be examined and reviewed below.
The Best Eyes Drops For Stoners
How Eye Drops Help
Eye drops or artificial tears hydrate your dry eyes, which helps with eye redness relief, and your overall eye health. Some of the benefits with eyedrops are the following:
- Eye Itchiness Relief
- Relieves Dry Eye
The Top Eye Drops
The following is a list of the most, highly rated, eye drops, that are sold on Amazon.
- Clear Eyes
Each of these drops is highly rated and has thousands of reviews. So, you can’t go wrong with any of these that are listed. So, take a look, read the reviews, and buy the solution that works best for you.
Don’t Go For The Lowest Bidder
You obviously, don’t want to mess with your eyes. So, avoid buying generic, no-name, eye drops. Store brand eye drops, (I.E. Wallgreens, Wallmart, etc.) should not be an issue. But, by all means, avoid cheap, dollar-store eye drops. Luckily, the eye drops below are not that expensive. As a result, finding quality, affordable, eye drops for you shouldn’t be a problem.
Rotho-V Eye Drop
Rotho-V is a lesser-known, eye-drop brand and also has far fewer reviews than other drops on Amazon. It is though a quite popular, worldwide brand.
I am including this brand as it has been recommended by several top-name
Three Pack of .4 Fluid Ounce Bottles
- Naphazoline hydrochloride-0.012% (Redness Reliever)
- Polysorbate- 80.02% (Eye Moisturizer)
- Benzalkonium chloride
- Boric Acid
- Alcohol (0.1%)
- Purified Water, Sodium Borate,
- Edetate disodium
PROS and CONS
- Highly Rated-Rated high for a sizeable number of reviews. Additionally, there are minimal one or two-star reviews.
- Enthusiastic Reviews-It might be hyperbole, but certain customers highly praise Rotho as being “The Best Eye Drops Ever.”
- Best Eye Drops-Based upon my own personal experience, and also highly rated and respected
cannabisauthorities specifically recommend the Rotho as working well for getting rid of bloodshot eyes.
- Stings -These drops tend to sting quite a bit when put in the eyes.
- Comfort-A few stated that the drops did work well for reducing red eyes and helping with eye discomfort.
- Limited Options-Only comes in the three-pack of .4 fluid ounces.
Visine Red Eye Comfort Eye Drop
Visine eye drops are, at least for me, the first thing that most people think of when thinking about over-the-counter eye drops. And these Visine Eye Drops that are being reviewed are specifically touted as being able to help you get rid of red eyes. But, do they get the job done?
Tetrahydrozoline HCl 0.05% (Relieves Redness)
- Sodium phosphate
- Boric acid
- Ascorbic acid
- Magnesium Chloride
- Potassium Chloride
- Purified Water
- Sodium Borat
- Sodium Xitrate
- Sodium Lactate
Pros and Cons
- Highly Rated- Nearly perfect five-star review with over 1,000 reviews
- Classic-Many users note myself included, that Visine is a popular product that gets the job done, and there is no need to change.
- Good Price
- Redness- These are specifically marketed for red-eyes, and they do tend to work well for eye redness relief.
- Convenience -It comes in a small size, which makes it work well for carrying it in your pocket, purse, etc.
- Long-Lasting – Not a trend. But a few comments stated that the redness relief is not that long-lasting.
- Long Term Use- A reviewer said that his doctor told him that they should not be for the long term. (I have no proof of this however, for those that will use these on a regular basis, it might be something you would want to investigate)
- Dry Your Eyes-Reviewer stated that Visine eye drops cause dry eyes, which will force you to use them regularly.
- Animal Testing-According to Peta these eye drops are tested on rabbits.
- Eye Irritation- A few users stated that he had major eye irritation after using these eye drops.
Clear Eyes Eye Drops Redness Relief
- 2.2 Fl Ounces. (pack of 1)
- 1 fl oz.-3
- 2 FL oz. (Pack of 12)
- .5 Fl Oz. (Pack of Three)
- Naphazoline Hydrochloride 0.012% (Relieves the Redness)
- Glycerin 0.25% (Lubricant)
- Edetate Disodium
- Benzalkonium Chloride
- Sodium Borate
- Purified Water
Pros and Cons
- BestSeller- #8 Bestseller on Amazon for Eye drops.
- Rated Highly- Almost 5.0 average out of nearly 5,000 ratings.
- Size-The small-sized bottle is perfect for carrying around with you. The 12 pack of small bottles is especially convenient.
- Eye-Dryness- Works well for helping with dry eyes along with removing red, bloodshot eyes.
- Gets the Job Done -The reviewer stated that Clear Eyes, Eye drops work well for getting rid of red eyes. (The reviewer though stated that it was to control
- Cheap Price
US Only Shipping – This supplier for Clear Eyes stated that they can only shop within the US or to military (APO, FPO) addresses.
Not As Effective -A reviewer remarked that the product take a long time to work if it even works at all. The user specifically stated that Visine All-Day-Comfort eye-drops are a better option.
Other Popular, Non-Reviewed Brands
- Bausch Lomb
- Rhoto Eyedrops
There are many choices for eye drops out there. So, it can get a bit confusing. Also, as otc eye drops may have different ingredients, one eye drop may work well for someone and either not work for others or even cause eye irritation.
For example, Clear Eyes’ main ingredient for getting rid of red in eyes is Naphazoline Hydrochloride, and Visine’s main ingredient is Tetrahydrozoline HCL. I am by no means a chemist. But, does it not seem to be outlandish to think that different people will react differently to different chemicals. So, my overall advice is basically common sense in that you should try a smaller amount, see how it works, and if it doesn’t work, try another brand and then rinse and repeat as needed.