SOLAR FLARE 220W And Bloom Buster Review
California Light Works is a grow light manufacturing veteran that is located in Canoga Park, California, that has been in business since 2008. Their first product was the StealthLED grow light. They soon introduced the XtremeLED grow light, and they’ve succeeded in introducing quality grow lights for
They currently offer five product line options: SolarStorm, MegaDrive, SolarSystem, Green, and HousePro.
You can get the SolarXtreme in the following models-250, 500, and 1,000 Watts. These LED grow lights were designed for use in grow tents and small-scale home growers. Prices range from around $250 to under $900.
SolarXtreme 250 to 1100
Designed for commercial and, serious, personal home use. The prices range from the 275 models at $489 to the 1100 models at $1,599.00.
The Green grow lights are designed for supplemental light for greenhouse gardens. They currently cost around $799.
These are their supplemental, UVC, lighting, that is designed to kill viruses, bacteria, etc., in your grow area.
For professional growing operations. The Megadrive system helps a company expand easier by making it easier to combine more grow lights together. You can best understand by looking at the video below.
California LightWorks Solar Flare Full Cycle Review 220W
The Amazon listing states that the SolarFlare 220W is still being manufactured. However, California Light Works Solar Flare 220W LED is likely discontinued as it is not currently mentioned on their website. (The SolarXtreme likely replaced it) However, as the 220W is still being sold on Amazon, and you will be able to find a used one occasionally, I felt that reviewing this LED grow light would be worthwhile.
The SolarFlare 220W Grow Light is a high quality LED grow light manufactured by California Light Works. It is California Lightworks cheapest grow light. However, its coverage area is quite small. The SolarFlare has two products in this line; a Full Cycle model that features both Vegmaster (vegging) mode and Bloom Booster (flowering) mode. They also have models, Bloom Booster, that are to be sued for the flowering growth stage. The following are specifications for the Solar Flare 220W.
For those wanting to upgrade to LED grow lights; the SolarFlare was designed to replace a 400w HPS or metal halide grow light setup.
- Chips: Not Listed
- Bulbs: 44, High Flux, Bin, Osram, SSL,
- Energy Savings: 50% Energy Savings Compared to HID lighting.
- LED Technology: 40 5W LED
- Power Consumption: 220W LED (Actual Power Draw Of 165 Watts)
- Weight: 9 Pounds
- Coverage Area: 3’x3’ for veg, 2’ x 2’ for flowering
- Recommended Hanging Distance: 18 to 24”
- Life Hours:80,000
- UV and IR Lighting: NO
- Warranty: 3-year Warranty
- Extras: Built-in Daisy Chain Capability (Allows for up to ten LED lights to be tied together to cover larger growing operation)
- Modes: Full Cycle (Vegetative and Flowering) and Bloom Booster Model (Flowering Stage)
Pros and Cons
California Light Works grow lights are expensive and are designed for either professional use or the serious home
- Full Cycle-The Full Cycle 220W version is known for, unlike many others, for working well in all plant growth stages. The only thing that is missing, which is not mandator, is UV lighting.
- Works Well- The Solar Flare is extremely efficient (many say it is the brightest LED grow light that they’ve ever used) while giving off minimal heat.
- Quiet Operation- California Light Works first grow light was called the StealthLED. As a result, it is not a surprise that the SolarFlare 220W is also known for it being quiet. This makes the 220W LED an excellent option for grow setups where quiet operation is essential.
- Small Size-The small size of the Solarflare 220W LED grow light makes it an excellent fit for small size closet type home grow setups and also smaller grow rooms.
- Value-The only trending complaint that I saw about the SolarFlare 220 LED grow light was that it was not a good value based upon its limited 2’x2′ to 2’x 3′ coverage. This is a valid complaint as this light that costs over $200 and only has a maximum 3’x3’ growth coverage area.
California Light Works is a premier grow light manufacture that designs grow lights for both consumers and professionals. The Solar Full Cycle 220W LED grow light and the Bloom Buster version are also quality, high-end, grow lights used for home or professional purposes. However, you do pay for the high-end performance and get perfectly acceptable grow lights from other companies with a far larger growth coverage area.
My advice would be that, if you are serious about growing
FINAL RECOMMENDATION-The SolarFlare has, to best of my knowledge, been replaced by the SolarExtreme models. As a result, unless you can get a great deal on a used Solar Flare, I would purchase the more modern SolarExtreme.