Is This A Spider Mite’s Worse Enemy?
Doktor Doom Spider Mite Knockout (“Knockout”) is an insecticide, plant spray designed for spider mite eradication, aphids, whiteflies, leafhoppers, Japanese beetles, and other pests. It can be used both indoors and outdoors. Its active ingredient is the naturally occurring insecticide pyrethrin and synthetic piperonyl butoxide. It contains two 16 ounce bottles.
What is Pyrethrin?
Pyrethrum insecticide is a natural nerve agent that paralyzes and kills pests upon contact. It is manufactured from chrysanthemum flowers and has been used for thousands of years. Pyrethrin, by itself, is approved for organic gardening. So, if you want to use Pyrethrin and stay organic, check out those products below.
How is Knockout Different From Straight Pyrehtrim?
The difference between straight Pyrehtrim and Knockout is that organic Pyrethrin is mixed in with synthetic (“artificial”) Piperonyl Butoxide.
The added synthetic ingredients and natural ingredients, per the manufacturer, are claimed to make Doom 19X more effective than Pyrethrin, and 10X more potent than other Pyrethrin formula pesticides.
Because it has Piperonyl butoxide in its formula, it is NOT considered organic. Do not use it if you want to grow grow organically.
One limitation or, depending upon your perspective, one advantage of Knockout is that it only stays on your plants found 15 minutes. Therefore, it must be directly sprayed on the insect. One advantage of this short usage is that you can harvest the plants only one day or so before harvest. However, for full effectiveness, a fogger, like the one listed below should also be used.
Customer Review Summary
DoktorDoom Spider Mite Knockout has an excellent (a bit over four stars) rating and a decent number of reviews, (70+) for a specialized and somewhat organic pesticide. The following is a summary of the main Pros and Cons of Doktor Doom, Spider Mite, Knockout on Amazon. Click the image below if you want to go straight to the product.
- Gets the Job Done-The majority of four and five-star reviews state that it works well in killing pests.
- Efficient-Many users noted that it only takes a single spray to insects, and you’ll see a world of difference with a spider mite infestation.
- Better Than neem oil
- Doesn’t Work– A small percentage of reviews complained that it did not work well.
- Poor Customer Service-On review complained that Doom didn’t back up their warranty as they couldn’t return it to Amazon.
- Burns Plants-Knock Out specifically tells you that you should spray three to four feet from your plants. Also, no other complaints mentioned Knock out, burning their plants. So, it is not a reckless assumption to believe that the reviewer simply did not follow instructions.
- Only Practical For Growing Operations-This is a valid observation, as Knock Out only works upon direct contact and it is not a fogger. So, it would not be practical to use solely for a large growing operation.
- Not Organic-Knockout explicitly states that because of the artificial ingredient Piperonyl Butoxide, it is not organic. This is not a defect. It is, however, a warning that just because it contains the Chrysanthemum based Pyrehtrim that you should not assume it is organic.
How To Do You Use It?
If you follow the below safety precautions and usage recommendations Knockout is simple to use and safe.
- Wear Gloves to apply.
- Piperonyl butoxide is an artificial ingredient. So, to be safe, you should use an industrial safety mask like the one listed below when applying.
- Thoroughly wash your hands after its use.
- At the very least, when applied, wait for one day before harvest,
- Works best if it is sprayed while upside down.
- Spray the underside of the leaves approximately three to four feet away from the plant.
- Spray using short bursts of around one to two seconds per burst. A light mist is all that is necessary.
- Never apply it under direct sunlight or grow lights on.
- If possible, only spray when it is 75F or less.
- Water plants before using.
Use With Fogger
Knockout’s spray kills bugs on contact. It only stays active for around 15 minutes on plant foliage. This means that it will not likely kill eggs from spider mites. As a result, it is best to combine Doom with a Fogger, like Doktor Doom Spider Mite Knockout or other brands that are listed below.
Doktor Doom Spider Mite Knockout simply does its job in killing aphids, spider mites, whiteflies, leafhoppers, Japanese beetles, other unwanted visitors.
There were very few complaints considering Knock Out’s effectiveness, most of those complaints were because of not following directions. I.E., Spraying too close. One legitimate complaint is that the two, 16-ounce can is not practical for a large growing operation. However, carrying a can with you and killing a bug or two could be useful to have on hand.
Knock Out is an excellent solution for a typical, small, grow room operation. It is easily applied and is extremely useful in killing spider mites, whiteflies, leafhoppers, Japanese beetles, and other nasty pests. This is especially, so when this combined with a fogger.
Summary-Doktor Doom Spider Mite Knock Out’s two small cans aren’t practical to be solely used in a large, professional, cannabis growing setup. However, it is highly recommended for a small homegrown operation where organic isn’t a priority. To get the full benefits, you should combine it with a fogger.
Buying tip-It will be easier for you to find it by using “Doktor”, and not Dr. Doom Spider Mite Knockout.