Silicone Bong Review: How To Choose The Best Silicone Bong
How To Choose The Best Silicone Bong
Silicone Bongs (or if you prefer silicone water pipe) are relatively new. And, it would not be a brash assumption to say that many old-school smokers think anything but glass or perhaps wood is blasphemy. So, is silicone the greatest thing since sliced bread? Or is the silicone water pipe, something in between? Find out this and more in this review where you will learn the following:
- The Ins and Outs-I.E.Features, Pros and Cons, etc.
- Find out if it is safe to use
- Different types of ones that are available
- How to Clean Them
And, as usual, much more. .
What Is Exactly Silicone?
Silicone is a synthetic polymer with a rubber-like surface, that is made up of silicon and oxygen. Silicone is known for being extremely durable and has extreme resistance to both heat and cold temperatures. It is currently used in many industries, like the medical and electronics industries. Medical grade silicone and food grade silicone material is commonly manufactured, which indicates that it is safe at least for those purposes
Why You Would And Would Not Use Silicone
Pros and Cons
Silicone has many advantages. However, it is not for everyone. I will now go over the pros and cons and give you reasons why and why you would not want to have one as part of your collection.
- Price-You can get silicone smoking accessories that are as good or even better than their glass counterpart at the fraction of the price. Of course, you can always find cheap traditional bongs. Hell, you can even make one out of a plastic milk carton. But, on average silicone is significantly cheaper than even a mid-price traditional glass percolator bong.
- Durability– Silicone makes it essentially an “indestructible bong”. It is extremely resistant to heat and cold temperatures, You can bend it, and even run over it and the silicone will still be functional at the end of the day. In contrast, your $500, artistically blown, bong will be finished when one careless party-goer knocks it on the floor or if your cat and dog decided to visit you when you are enjoying weed.
- Cleaning-They are easy to thoroughly clean as many can be separated. Also, you can put silicone bong in the dishwasher.
- Portability– It is the perfect portable to have with you when you are on the go. Many are totally collapsible, and you can even buy a collapsible silicone bong.
- More Varied Designs– Silicone can be made into various different colors at a far cheaper price. Because of this, you can find ones that have colorful, fun, designs that are a conversation starter.
- Looks– Granted, with silicone you can have fun, vibrant colors that can be made into novelty items like a Lava Lamp and even a tank. They look fun, are handy to take along with you. At least, in my opinion, they look cheap compared to even a mid-priced, traditional glass bong. Grated, classiness is seen in the eye of the beholder. But, to most people glass is just plain classier looking. This is especially so with high-end models like the pulsar “Crystal Ball” Giant Beaker Bong with Inline to Ball Perc one featured below.
- Smoking Experience-Glass is known for simply tasting better because, assuming it is properly cleaned and maintained, you will be able to savor 100% of the flavor of your top-shelf herb from your stash jar. On the other hand, using a silicone bong often results in a plastic-like taste.
Silicone Bong Vs. Glass
The choice depends upon what you prioritize and your preferences. Silicone is more practical and convenient. For example, Silicone can also be made into collapsible bongs, which makes them perfect for you to take with you on a road trip, and they are also easier to clean. On the other hand, glass (depending upon what one your purchase) tends to look and give off a classier look. Additionally, unlike some silicone ones you will not have to worry about a plastic taste or smell.
Are Silicone Bongs Safe?
Silicone has a bit of controversy around it. The mean reason is that leaking, silicone, breast implants have caused thousands of women to be sick with “Breast Implant Illness.” This illness causes symptoms like joint and muscle pain, depression, sleeping disorders, headaches, and much more.
So, why should you trust silicone to be safe when it has caused so many women to be sick?
This question is reasonable. However, as long as you buy from a reputable source, it should be entirely safe.
The reasons that you should not worry are the following:
1. Made out of Food Grade Silicone-They are made out of food-grade silicone, which is used for many kitchen accessories.
2. Heat Resistant- A lighter does get hot enough to melt silicone. However, heat or will never come close to the silicone, as you are smoking into a glass bowl or metal bowl.
As they are easier to clean, silicone maybe, even more safer than traditional materials.
How To Clean a Silicone Bong
Its ease of cleanliness is one of the reasons that a silicone bong is preferred by many people. They are simple to clean, and as long as you do not put it off, all you have to do is wipe it off. The following are four ways for cleaning.
Before you start cleaning, if applicable, you need to first make sure that you first take it apart.
- Dishwasher Safe– If you desire, take it apart, place it there and you should be fine.
- Specialty Cleaner- There are several products that are specifically tailored for cleaning silicone bong. One product that was made for cleaning silicone is 420 Cleaner, which is shown below. Just follow the directions and you should be fine.
- Does Rubbing Alcohol Damage Silicone?-No, it does not, and cleaning silicone with alcohol works excellent in removing bad smells and resin. However, for safety reasons, you need to be sure that you thoroughly remove the alcohol before you use it again.
- Salt Water-Solution a saltwater solution will gently clean away obnoxious smells and residue. Saltwater, can take longer to work than the other methods. So, you would be better off using methods 1-3.
Silicone is synthetic, which means that you can choose one in pretty much any color or style imaginable. For example, you can get a no-thrills, Silicone Beaker Bong silicone hybrid bong, a mini silicone bong, bubbler, and Roll Uh Bowl BIG 12″ Silicone Bong with Eject-a-Bowl. And, if you want to go cheesy, retro, check out this Lava Lamp Silicone Water Pipe.
It is simply a matter of preference whether or not you choose to smoke out of silicone or glass. If you are looking at the pure utility, silicone is your better choice as they are more durable, easier to clean, easy to transport, etc, You may think that utility is all that matters when it comes to smoking. And for you, that very well could be true. But, for many, aesthetics are very important. They want to have smoking accessories that they can be proud of to show their friends. Nothing beats the looks and feel of enjoying a beautiful glass water pipe and a high-end one is a work of art, that just looks more elegant than silicone.
Fortunately, you do not have to pick one or the other, as it is entirely fine for you to purchase both. Luckily, Silicone bongs are cheap; so, buying both is likely viable. A silicone bong can be your go-to when you are traveling or camping and the traditional, more fragile, water pipe can be used for special occasions and for top-shelf strains that you want to savor.
Silicon is not just limited to bongs. Other, silicone smoking gear that you can buy is a silicone dab rig, and you can replace your glass pipe with a silicone hand pipe!
Other Smoking Accessories Evaluated
And if you value discreteness when you smoke check out my review of these personal air filters.